Monday, January 30, 2012

Socks.

Socks. They created a Dad & Me story.

It was twilight.

I walked lazily to the living room while stretching aching my arms. I saw Dad  who just came home after work, laid himself on the comfy couch looking like there's no earthquake that could shove him off that black calf leather couch.

I stopped and stood like a mannequin as I studied his facial features. It's obviously that he's tired after a long day at the office, but his face showed no sign of exhaustion. As I was counting the wrinkle lines on his forehead, my eyes suddenly noticed something. Something profoundly heartfelt. Dad's socks.

A familiar feeling strucked me. Then, my body automatically moves towards Dad. I sat in front of him with my eyes locked on his socks. The next thing I realized was that I saw some twinkle toes in front of me - I pulled off his socks already, first the left and then the right.

Suddenly, a mist of nostalgic memories fogs up, covering the present. I saw myself, the 6-years old me, the 7-years old me, the 8-years old me, the 9-years old me, the 10-years old me, pulling my retro-dad's socks off whenever he came back from work. It was then I realized that the present me, the unofficially 18-years old me, haven't pulled off his socks for as long as I could remember. A swirl of guilt and sadness choked me up.


"It's been a long time since I did this, Dad", I said. "You've been busy growing up", he replied with a smile. His words moved me in way that I wanted to punish myself for not realizing. "Yeah...", I replied with a soft voice. "Should I put these socks in the washing machine?", I continued. "Yes. You should never wear the same socks twice, so wash it", Dad answered.



I smirked. Truth to be told, I'll wear my socks like gazilion times and wash them only when there's visible dirt or whenever they smell funny. Okay okay, I'll follow Dad's footsteps next time. Better yet, I'll catch up on his footsteps real quick to pull off those socks again! Haha! :D

*this story actually happened in about 60seconds.
*some words are added for readers to understand the story...and to dramatize it a little? =P


"Dad, you have three wrinkle lines on your forehead."

-every girl may not be a queen to her husband, but she is always a princess to her father =)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;